quinta-feira, 28 de maio de 2009

Chegou o Verão /Summer is here

dsc_0345

Sim, eu sei, ainda não é Verão oficialmente, mas com as temperaturas que de repente se fazem sentir acho que podemos dizer que o Verão já chegou, e para ficar aparentemente.

Ok, so the calendar says its still spring, I know, but with the rising temperatures of the last few days I think we can agree that summer is here to stay.

dsc_0336

Esta é talvez a pior altura do ano para o meu jardim. O calor começa a ser demasiado para eu poder disfrutar dele e só de manhã cedo ou à tardinha se pode andar por lá.

Summer is, probably, the worse season in my garden. It's usually too hot to be outside and you can only enjoy the garden early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

dsc_0352

Por outro lado o calor aliado à falta de rega cria uma dificuldade acrescida para as plantas, que nalguns casos, se começam a ressentir. Muitas das plantas ainda não estão estabelecidas e ainda não conseguem sobreviver sem rega ou com regas muito espaçadas o que me obriga a regar pelo menos uma vez por semana.

Also the plants are too stressed by the high temperatures/low irrigation combination and some of them don't look their best. Many my plants are still not sufficiently developed to cope with the no water rule I want to impose, so I've been watering the garden at least once a week.

dsc_0347

Algumas das plantas primaveris, como é o caso das Chasmanthe, começam agora a secar o que não contribui em nada para o bom aspecto do jardim. Tenho de arranjar tempo para as cortar de vez e refazer este canteiro. Tenho de arranjar algumas plantas que o preencham durante o Verão equanto as Chasmanthe repousam.

Some of the spring plants are drying and don't look their best. The Chasmanthe is almost dry and really looks bad. I need to find some time to cut it and plant something for summer.

dsc_0344

Por outro lado, nesta altura começam a florir algumas das minhas flores preferidas, como é o caso destes Allium, que aqui casam perfeitamente com as gramineas.

But on the other hand summer is also a time to enjoy some of my favorites like this drumstick allium. I really like the way they look against the grasses.

dsc_0343

A Achilea também está em plena floração. Infelizmente não se vêem muito à venda estas plantas. Gostava de conseguir mais algumas noutras cores.

Achilea is also blooming away. Unfortunately this is not a common plant around here. I really would like to find some more in a few different colors.

dsc_0342

Esta é uma novidade Eschscholzia californica. São flores muito simples mas, por isso mesmo lindissimas.

Eschscholzia californica is a new plant to me. I really like its simple orange flowers.

dsc_0340

Outra novidade Alcea rosea, criada de semente. Deveria ser de um rosa mais escuro. Não sai bem se gosto desta cor,sobretudo perto das Salvia leucantha mas por agora vai ficando.

And this is another new plant. I grew it from seed and I was expecting a darker pink. I'm not too sure about this one, but I think I will give it a try.

dsc_0349

A romanzeira está coberta de flores o que sempre desvia o olhar da confusão de Chasmanthes moribundas na parte de trás.

Pomegranate tree is blooming also. The red flowers keep your attention from the Chasmanthe mess in the background.

dsc_0326

E por falar em árvores floridas, a Albizia está a dar as suas primeiras flores de sempre. Estas flores foram o motivo pelo qual a escolhi para o jardim. Poucas coisas serão mais bonitas que uma albizia em plena floração.

And speaking of blooming trees. Albizia is finally blooming. These pink flowers were the main reason for me to choose this tree. Few things are as beautiful as a grown Albizia in full bloom.

dsc_0337

9 comentários:

Gi disse...

Um jardim lindíssimo, parabéns.
De vez em quando passo por cá a ver as novidades.

Miguel disse...

Esses Echium candicans são espectaculares :).Tenho umas estacas de hissopo a ganhar raíz. Respondi ao teu comentário no cantinho.

ameixa seca disse...

Aqui o sol matou metade da minha hortelã! Nunca me tinha acontecido... até fiquei estúpida a olhar para ela. Ao início da tarde já estava caída e com as folhas completamente secas. Aqui no Norte diz que é só Verão até Domingo :)

Katarina disse...

Summer is early here in Sweden as well. And even though we don't have as high temperatures as you do, I also prefer mornings and evenings during summer.
Katarina

chaiselongue disse...

It all looks lovely. Summer has definitely arrived here, too and we need the shade at mid-day. Like you we have only decorative plants which shouldn't need water once they're established. I've just realised from your picture of Eschscholzia californica that we have it too, but didn't know what it was called. It grows very well here. Thanks for showing us all your lovely photos.

Anónimo disse...

olá!

tenho a Achilea em branco se quiser trocar por sementes da rosa...

MAYBELLINE disse...

Phooey to summer; but it's here so I'm dealing with it. I noticed your pomegrante and was thinking of starting an espalier in the winter since they grow so well in hot, dry conditions. Do you have any thoughts?

You have gravel paths and so do I. I'm going mad with all the bits jumping into my sandals/clogs. I can't think of a satisfying solution. So, like summer, I'm dealing with it.

Lovely photos.

gintoino disse...

Anonimo, não tenho sementes da rosa mas posso tentar guardar este ano para fazermos uma troca.

Maybelline, I have no experience with espaliers. I believe it should work. You can also grow them as a bush, they rarelly grow as big as the one I have in my garden. This one came with the house as a grown tree.
I have the larger gravel in my garden, probably that's why I dont usualy have gravel bits inside my shoes.

Rosa disse...

Parabéns! Este jardim é um exemplo.